Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 October 2013

Snow Bunting

last week as cycle along the coast ending at Holywell Pond ,still plenty of Speckled Woods on the wing also noted Red Admiral and a Comma , at the outflow to Meggie's Burn several Goldfinch ,Reed Buntings, and Meadow Pipits had come down to drink an bathe and a single Snow Bunting noted as it sat in the middle of the pool on a rock then flew to feed on the dune slopes . Two coveys of Grey Partridge along the links also a good number of Golden plover in with the Lapwings and hundreds of Black headed following the plough , near Seaton Delaval hall a covey of 8 Red Legged Partridge right in the centre of a field and 7 Mistle Thrush over west . Holywell Pond was quiet  I was there in the hope of some Dragonflies and sure enough up to three Hawkers plied the pool edge in front of the hide  but none would settle nor give me very good views Migrant and Common Hawker was my thought . A reverse of the cycle ride to take me home but somewhat faster ,I did check the small mud pool along the links but only 2 Redshank .
 Speckled Woods easily in into double figures but only one Red Admiral and Comma

 This Reed Bunting sat here for so long that I just have to get the camera out and try a shot it was rather too far but it looks OK
 Snow Bunting working the dune slopes interesting to note it was especially looking into footprints presumably where wind blown seeds would gather.
 I just found a spot to sit and waited till it came to me ,has to be one of my favourite winter visitors
 Seemed to have no problem  finding seeds
The pensive look

No comments: