Search This Blog

Sunday 11 September 2011

Cowpen Bewley,Saltholme,Shibdon


I had to go down to Middlesborough so I took the opportunity to call in at Cowpen Bewley Country Park it is a site that has recorded Brown Hawker in the Summer months  but I just thought I would get a look around .
Common Blue , Meadow Brown  and Red Admioral on the wing as where some Hawkers I did not have time to check them out properly plus it was a day of very strong winds and heavy showers, its a good area inhabited mainly by dog walkers with an area designated as  off the lead run , but most seemed to just let them run anywhere as well as the ponds of which there are several and a small lake .
Drove on to Saltholme it was stotting down (that is very heavy rain for non Northeners) so i dashed across to the Phil stead hide but only Little Egret and Ruff here, next stop Greatham Creak but the wind so strong I had to sit and keep the scope very low.
So I thought I would go home via Shibdon  at least I would have some shelter and a Spotted redshank and this is where I stayed till just before dark the water levels are controlled here and it shows with many Redshank, Snipe, Spotted Redshank & Green Sandpiper , two family groups of Lesser Black -backs amongst the gulls unfortunately they where just to far for some shots. There is a nice edge to this pond and I was sure of seeing Water Rail as the day ended but no !!!!
 Southern Hawkers at one of the small pools at Cowpen Bewley , if I remember cowpen is something to do with where salt we also have a Cowpen near Blyth .
 Red Eared Terrapin ? which I think has been here for some years it seems to being OK that must be about 15 " long
 Ruddy Darter settled beside me but it was the only I saw and actually my first of the year.
 This Juvenile Carrion Crow was odd  being very tame sat on the car roof looking down at me as I sat in the car , having nothing to feed it I asked a couple in a Motorhome and they gave me a bun !!, I wonder if someone has had it in captivity then just let it go ????

 Saltholme after the rain comes the sun briefly , Little Egret from the Phil Stead hide. This hide is outside the visitor centre so you don't have to wait for it to open at 10 (yes thats right 10 ' o clock before you can get in )
 Ruff on the pool edge
 Vignetting effect always a problem with digiscoping
 Common Seal near the creak
 Shibdon the rain has stopped and a little  bit of sun to brighten the day
The ever present Lapwing a feature of just about every pond such as this.

Lesser Black -backed Juvenile ,I would have like some closer photos but they kept there distance

2 comments:

Dan Huber said...

wonderful series

dan

Northumbrian Birding said...

Thanks Dan, Nice of you to drop in from the USA.
Brian