Search This Blog

Saturday 14 March 2009

9-3-09 QE11,Linton. Longhirst, Bothal, Green Winged Teal

This week I am totally mixed up with the days Monday the 9th called in at QE11 lake to check out the Gulls this is where a Ring Billed is going to turn up , just feet away feeding on bread or chip scraps ,which seems to be their staple diet while in the UK, but alas not today so I headed for Linton two Buzzards on the way flying low along the hedge line near the roundabout, I don't seem to have any shots from Linton which seems to sum up the visit there, I did have 5-6 Lesser Black-backs & a pair of Oystercatchers have returned,so I head past Longhirst flash another 50-60 Gulls here with a Heron , Mallard, Teal, next stop Bothal the fields near here have several large pools on I have never seen as much water stay around for so long, the pool at the corner near the Kennels looks pretty good for waders, I found the Green Winged on the pool behind the cottages this is much larger than I have seen also , tried a couple of digi shots but the birds head always in the water, good number of Wigeon and Teal over the area also four Oystercatchers here, and another thing that is always here is a strong wind blowing from the west usually

QE11
QE11
QE11
Bothal

4 comments:

Alan Tilmouth said...

That pool on the corner never seems to0 get anything beyond Coot, Moorhen and the occasional Mallard. It has been present for several years but may have got deeper (?)for some reason though I've never seen a single wader species on it.

Jack B said...

Hi Brian

I've tried for the GW Teal on a number of occasions but haven't managed to see it yet. What's the best place to see it? We normally look on the large pond between Bothal and the main Pegswood road.

Jack

Northumbrian Birding said...

AT yes I have stopped and scanned this pool, but as yet I have not had a wader either, although it does look ideal, so worth a check in my book.
JB GWT seems to be on the small pool to the west which is behind the cottages about 250 yds along but can be viewed from the gateway, also Tree Sparrows beside the farm.
Brian

Jack B said...

Thanks for your help.

Jack