Search This Blog

Monday 12 January 2009

9-1-09 Friday @Linton Ponds

After my successful trip down for the Glaucous Winged Gull, and a report of a possible or was it probable, Caspian Gull at Linton Pond I decided to head there ,on the way I pulled up to about 7-----800 Pinkfeet near QE11 pond and in with them one Barnacle Goose, just over from the roundabout I stopped to check the field and a guy was retrieving his Peregrine that had gone AWOL ( tracker fitted ) so I got a couple of shots before he was off.
Linton had the usual cloud of Gulls , walked the track to look over the east pond, then into the hide RD was also here having the same idea as me, we clicked away for the afternoon as the duck were very mobile but most of my shots where rubbish , no sign of any white winged gulls at all, a Buzzard and Sparrowhawk over with a Fox in the fields and another on the way home, and that was that.
I estimated 700-800 Pinkfeet just west of QE11, single Barnacle centre.

Falconer retrieved his Peregrine after giving him the runaround




The East pond at Linton, there is a hide on the right that has openings one is way to high and the other way to low, and the seat has struts across, that you always catch your leg on as you get in and out , very uncomfortable



Wigeon & Teal flighting most of the afternoon










And Wigeon calling from in front of the hide






Still some ice around







Fox in the fields and another crossing a field on the way home








2 comments:

abbey meadows said...

Nice Wigeon shots...lovely birds. I couldn't get a decent shot of the Fox when I was there the other day.

Northumbrian Birding said...

Yes Wigeon in front of the hide for once, no sign of the Iceland for me.
Brian