Search This Blog

Thursday 22 January 2009

20-1-09 St Marys/ Water Pipit

Tuesday 20th January, I went up to St Mary's to try for the Water Pipit again it was bright and sunny but it does not hit much of the North Bay, other than the tideline as the water recedes or comes in , the 2 Brent Geese more or less resident fixtures of a small area off the causeway always great to see , picked up the Water pipit on the waters edge but it flew off so I rattled a couple of shots hence the flight shot which does not offer much, picked it up further along , but too far away it came around behind me running across the sand, I just stood still and it came closer , but typical the battery runs out replaced it to find I had not charged the replacement, with the others back at the car, and what happens it sits and poses right, left, with its back to me head to the side the lot , so when it flew off again I decided to go back to the car for another, and me being a cheapskate had to walk up past the butts, so I legged it back down but the tide dropping fast and a lot of the waders had moved on , and the Pipit kept it's distance, along the prom a few hundred Golden Plovers on the corner, with a few Gulls , the wet land had a few Duck the water level high, and the Brents flew over but headed back . looks like it's another day for that pipit, good afternoon anyway


















Barn Owl, Scaup, Red Breasted Mergansers, Teal ,Wigeon, Tufted, Mallard, Goldeneye, Pinkfeet Geese, Greylag Geese, Stonechat, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Heron, Oystercatcher, Dunlin, Redshank, Mute Swan, Shellduck, Black- Headed Gull, Common Gull, Herring Gull ,Curlew, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Coot, Purple Sandpiper, Water Pipit, Mediterranean Gull, Sanderling, Dunlin, Turnstone, Brent Geese, Redshank, Rock Pipit, Waxwing, Kittiwake, Tree Sparrow







3 comments:

Alan Tilmouth said...

I think that's the first flight shot of Water Pipit I've seen, most others seem to beach +pipit+seaweed, nice one.

Brian R said...

Difficult bird to nail, and F8 and 800 ISO Very impressive.

Northumbrian Birding said...

Thanks it's a bit of a crop but happy with it.