Search This Blog

Friday 16 January 2009

16-1-09 Castle Island/Bothal/ Linton

14 of the 24 Magpies that crossed the pond
The tinternet reveals that Magpie is derived from Magot Pie, and that pie is french for PICA latin for black & white.
Collective name is a Tiding of Magpies


Decided to go to Castle Island today but on the spine road I missed the turn off, so I went around the edge of Ashington and back round to get to the crossings along Marsh Cottages road, to find traffic light s sat there for what seemed like forever as cars came along, road is being resurfaced so avoid it for awhile, anyway got down to look over castle island to find a 2/3 Winter Iceland Gull , I thought it might be of local interest so I texted in the info but nothing came through so I tried another number still nothing I have a new phone and think I have messed up the numbers somehow, went onto RBA to find the number and could not you would think a message service that relies on info coming in, to make the sending of such info a bit easier to find, I eventually found it on BIRDFORUM, the number seems to have changed and I new nothing of it, also about 15 Teal ,& 7 Goldeneye and a ingle RBM.

Went on to Bothal to find the Bridge closed over the Wansbeck so all the way back and through Ashington so missed out Bothal and went onto Linton where I had very little to look at I did have a flock of 24 Magpies (is there a name for that), and to end the day got stuck in traffic on the way home despite leaving a little earlier, role on the lighter nights and I can just wait it out , and go home later. ................Just one of those days !!!!!!!!!

2/3 rd Winter Iceland Gull Castle Island






Digiscoped Red Breasted merganser

Barn Owl, Scaup, Red Breasted Mergansers, Teal ,Wigeon, Tufted, Mallard, Goldeneye, Pinkfeet Geese, Greylag Geese, Stonechat, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Heron, Oystercatcher, Dunlin, Redshank, Mute Swan, Shellduck, Black- Headed Gull, Common Gull, Herring Gull ,Curlew, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Coot, Purple Sandpiper, Water Pipit, Mediterranean Gull, Sanderling, Dunlin, Turnstone, Brent Geese, Redshank, Rock Pipit, Waxwing, Kittiwake







2 comments:

abbey meadows said...

Last wednesday I saw 37 Magpies crammed into one Hawthorn bush at Bothal.

Northumbrian Birding said...

Yes they are more numerous than ever, never used to get them in the garden now there common, whats that song/ rhyme......... one for sorrow, two for joy, three for a girl, four for a boy, five for silver, six for gold , seven for a secret never to be told, not sure if it goes to 37. why can't I remember more interesting stuff like flight calls and I.D. features etc.
Brian